Real generosity towards the future consists of giving all to what is present.
Albert Camus












Saturday, September 10, 2011

Park of Monsters and Lake Bracciano




I have already done 3 short day trips by train.  The sacro mostri, or Park of Monsters, in Bormazo, was constructed by Vicino Orsini during the mid 1500’s.  All the sculptures and monuments are hand-carved from rock and stone.  Most sculptures had latin inscriptions and a local italian helped decipher the one on the ogre.  Paraphrased:  You can learn and see much if you will open your mid and let yourself fly...I enjoyed the shade in the woods during one of our many 90 degree days!  I have also been to a nearby lake twice and it is really gorgeous.  The area is very relaxed and the water is crystal clear.   I have gotten in 2 open water swims already!  I am trying to keep some part of my regular routine, but working out here is a little difficult right now.  I also had the priviledge to meet a woman who has spent the last 5 months restoring the altar and fresco in her local church.

morning mist on Lake Bracciano





struggle between giants


Neptune

ogre




Bomarzo


local castle from 1100 A D


Castello Odescalchi Bracciano


USAC students


MK in castle courtyard



beautiful local church set up for wedding






No comments:

Post a Comment